Want to grab someone’s attention?
Leave that new outfit hanging in the wardrobe. Don’t bother with that expensive haircut. No need to practice how to enter a room with confidence.
All you need to do is turn down an alcoholic drink and say:
I’m not drinking tonight
I don’t drink
You’ll instantly turn heads. Then you’ll get those inevitable questions…
I’m sorry to admit that I used to be one of the people who would query the non-drinkers.
Now, when I think about it, making a big thing of not drinking seems idiotic. I mean, we don’t say anything when someone orders a salad instead of a pizza.
More seriously, research says that social drinkers who are most at risk from alcohol issues are more likely to be pressured into drinking from friends and co-workers. Most of us start feeling that pressure when we get those questions and jibes when we tell people we’re not drinking.
Now though, you can be a moron too when you’re not drinking with these 18 idiotic things to say to people who drink alcohol.
18 things to say to people who drink alcohol
- How long are you doing this “alcohol thing” for?
- Is it OK if I drink non-alcoholic drinks when I’m with you?
- So, you’re not pregnant/on medication then!
- Go on, one non-alcoholic beer won’t hurt
- Why have you decided to drink alcohol?
- You’re really missing out by getting drunk
- I bet you’re fun when you’re not drunk
- Can I get a lift home in your taxi?
- You must spend so much money
- Don’t you like the taste of non-alcoholic drinks?
- Go on… I won’t tell anyone if you have a lime and soda
- Are you [religion that allows alcohol consumption]?
- I’d love to see you sober with a non-alcoholic drink in your hand
- I’m going to get you to have a water by the end of the night
- You must hate being places where people are sober
- Are you scared of not drinking?
- You must feel so smug with an alcoholic drink in your hand
- Are you allergic to soft drinks?
Over to you
What else do people say to you when they find out you don’t drink alcohol? Do friends, family and colleagues support you or do you get pressured into drinking?